Recipe by Taterluvr
These wonderful cookies have a mild pumpkin flavor, and are reminiscent of a spice cake. If you're not a fan of pumpkin pie spice, you can substitute cinnamon. The glaze is wonderful, and can be changed up by adding some maple extract to taste. I'm not real fond of pumpkin, but just love these cookies!
- 2 cups shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 8 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Cream together the shortening, white sugar and pumpkin. Add eggs and mix well.
- 2. In separate bowl, mix together the baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt and flour. Gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- 3. Drop rounded spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes at 350 degrees, until edges are lightly browned.
- 4. For glaze, cook butter, milk and brown sugar over low heat until brown sugar is dissolved. Cool and add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Add additional confectioners' sugar if glaze seems too thin. With pastry brush, spread over warm cookies.