1/3 Photos of Always Perfect Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Sarah Chana's Note:
This recipe has gotten me out of innumerable kitchen emergencies, including unexpected guests, finicky guests, and kids on a hunger strike. It has become so popular in our world that many guests visiting (especially from out of town) request it in advance before they get here. Similarly, many young brides have asked for this recipe as their wedding gift (don't worry--they got a regular gift too!). It can be doubled, tripled, etc., freezes and reheats well, and can handle an almost infinite number of variations (some of which I will include below).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together beef, garlic powder, onion powder, egg, and matzo meal.
- 2Form into small balls and set aside.
- 3Pour chili sauce into medium saucepan.
- 4Refill bottle with water, shake well, and add to pot.
- 5Add the brown sugar and lemon juice, and mix.
- 6Bring sauce to a boil.
- 7Taste and adjust amounts of lemon juice and brown sugar to taste.
- 8Drop in meatballs.
- 9Return to boil, cover, and simmer for at least 20 minutes (but you can leave it on for much longer if you forget).
- 10VARIATION #1:For chili sauce, you can substitute either tomato sauce or tomato juice or diced canned tomatoes, and adjust the sweeteners and water accordingly. You just want it to be a saucy consistency, not too thick or thin. If you use plain tomato juice or sauce, you can add in some garlic powder or other seasoning. The sky is the limit. But, do NOT use spaghetti sauce!
- 11VARIATION #2:For matzo meal you can substitute bread crumbs, oatmeal, a little flour, or any other binding agent.
- 12VARIATION #3:For brown sugar you can substitute real maple syrup, sugar, honey, grape jelly, or any other real sweetener. (Do not use nutrisweet or any other artificial sweetener!).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Always Perfect Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.5
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 123.6 mg
- Sodium 1239.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 36.1 g
- Protein 25.5 g