This is a classic recipe, slightly adapted. It's especially perfect for high altitude cooking, as I live at 7,000 feet above sea level and it's hard to make cookies rise just right. Bake slightly longer for crispy cookies, slightly less for chewy.
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream shortening, butter, and sugars together, then eggs and vanilla extract.
- Slowly blend in dry ingredients, about a third of the total amount at a time.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by large tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between to allow cookies to spread.
- Bake at 375°F for 11-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Makes 2-3 dozen cookies depending on size.