Yet another recipe I got from my mom. I'm not sure where she got it from but I love it! I recently took it to a baby shower and everyone was asking for the recipe.
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, quartered, drained (or 1 pkg of frozen artichoke hearts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- Cook butter, oil and onion until soft in skillet.
- Mix in oregano, garlic and artichokes. Sauté 5-10 minute.
- Grease (or use non stick spray) a 1 1/2-2 quart round baking pan (or 8x8 baking dish). Coat sides and bottom with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Spoon artichoke mixture over the bottom.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix in jack cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over artichokes.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese on top. Bake 5-8 more minutes.
- *You can double the recipe and use 9x13 baking dish.
Loved the ingredients. How can you go wrong with artichoke hearts, parmesan cheese, etc. I do; however, think the dish lacked a bit of richness and I think heavy cream vs. milk would really add to this recipe. I will definitely make this dish again; however, next time I will substitute the cream and maybe add mushrooms and a tiny bit of cayenne to give it a "kick". Recipe made for PAC, 2011.
This was delicious! Based on the previous reviewer, I did sub with heavy cream instead of milk, and I used pepper-jack cheese, and marinated artichokes instead of plain ones. I also doubled the recipe and I'm glad I did. Super delicious flavor and so easy to make. Thanks for posting - I'll be making this again. I think some diced red peppers would be a great addition too. Made for Spring PAC 2012.