Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Alvera was my mother-in-law. She is gone now but her recipes live on; in her old recipe box. I was looking for a dish to take to a church potluck. I remember her making these for my family.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 2 teaspoons onions, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 8 gingersnaps, finely crushed
- Mix ground beef, carrots, onion, salt and pepper; shape into balls.
- Brown in oil in a skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients; cover, stirring occasionally until sauce is slightly thickened for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with buttered noodles.
I love Sauerbraten but it takes so long to make it.. this is a great way to get that old world flavor without the wait
I really liked these meatballs - they were very tasty and the carrots made them unique. The sauce really works out too - although I had my doubts about the gingersnaps. Great recipe.