Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
After a rich fish curry meal, serve this sweetmeat with black coffee. I haven't made this yet. It was recently given to me by a friend. It looks different but good and I can't wait to try it. Note: This does call for cashews. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05.
- Put sugar, milk, condensed milk and ghee into a large heated saucepan (a non stick pan is excellent for this).
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches soft ball stage or 116°C (240°F) on a candy thermometer.
- (To test for softball stage, drop a little into a cup of ice.cold water. If it firms enough to be moulded into a soft ball, it has reached the required temperature.).
- Remove from heat, add smoothly mashed potato and beat with a rotary beater until all lumps are beaten out.
- If using a pan with non stick lining, pour mixture into a bowl before doing this or the metal beaters will scratch the non stick surface.
- Return to heat and cook to soft ball stage or 116°C (240°F) once more.
- Remove from heat, stir in nuts, rose water and cardamom and mix well.
- Pour into a well buttered shallow dish or baking tin.
- Pres lightly with a piece of buttered banana leaf or aluminium foil to smooth and flatten the surface.
- Allow to cool and set, then cut into diamond shapes.