1/9 Photos of Alu Paratha - Mashed Potato Stuffed Bread
Chef #2251036's Note:
Hot stuffed parathas! a breakfast favorite in the northern parts of India. This simple yet tasty bread has evolved quite a lot since the old days. Clarified butter or 'ghee' was the cooking medium of choice in the past, but the weight watchers brigade has replaced it with the lighter vegetable oil. The stuffing used in the Parathas has also seen many changes in recent times. From the very classic mashed potato to the now popular minced chicken or egg. Changes or not, stuffed paratha still remains the top breakfast choice for most Indians, after all there is nothing like gorging on these beauties on a lazy Sunday morning. For more such recipes, do check out my blog at quickasianrecipes.wordpress.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To prepare the dough take the wheat flour, add half Tsp of salt, 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil. Mix well and pour water over the flour and knead into a smooth dough. Keep aside to rest.
- 2Mash the boiled potatoes, add roasted cumin seeds, chopped onion, and green chilly and salt . Mix well till all the ingredients are nicely combined.
- 3doubh and smashed potato.
- 4To prepare the paratha, take a golf ball sized portion of the dough, flatten it with your palm. Now place a spoon full of the prepared stuffing in the centre of the flattened dough ball.
- 5Now bring together all the sides of the dough and pinch them tightly to form a dumpling.
- 6Place this dumpling on your work top and roll it out gently using a rolling pin. Dust wheat flour on the work top if the dough becomes sticky. Once rolled the paratha should be evenly thick from all sides.
- 7To cook, heat oil in a frying pan, place the rolled out paratha on it. Cook on one side for two minutes. Flip it over apply some more oil on the surface and cook on both sides till it becomes crispy.
- 8Serve hot along with plain yoghurt or Indian pickle.
- 9Nutritional Value - Calories- 625 Fat 39 g, Carbohydrates- 26.2 g, Protein- 28 g.
- 10Tip: Use a little extra oil while kneading the dough, this will result in crispier Parathas. Also try using other stuffing like crumbled cottage cheese(Paneer) or mashed Peas.
- 11This paratha has been served along with yoghurt sprinkled with some dried mint and chilli flakes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alu Paratha - Mashed Potato Stuffed Bread
Serving Size: 1 (794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.5
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 880.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 9.9 g