Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Variation: Mix in 1 cup green peas and/or chopped carrots along with cauliflower. Use lemon juice instead of mango powder for a lemony taste. May also add a chopped tomato.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon mango powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped green coriander
- Wash and peel (or scrub) the potatoes.
- Cut into long half inch thick pieces.
- Microwave for 6 to 8 minutes, covered, for faster cooking.
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet on high heat.
- Add mustard seeds and cover.
- As soon as the seeds start popping, reduce the heat and add cumin seeds.
- As they change color, add garlic.
- Add the half cooked potatoes, cauliflower pieces, and remaining seasonings (except garam masala and mango powder).
- Cook covered until ready (about 15 minutes).
- Stir and sprinkle water if needed; lower the heat to prevent burning.
- Mix in garam masala, mango powder, and chopped red onion.
- Serve hot garnished with green coriander.
This was really good but I made a few changes. I cut the potatoes in 1/2 inch squares and added along with the cauliflower and the two cooked perfectly together (by Indian standards that is - somewhat mushy.) I also thought it was strange to not cook the onions so I popped the mustard seeds in oil, added the cumin, then added the onion and garlic/ginge paste and cooked as directed. I ended up forgeting to add the garam masala and mango powder and it was really good without it - a lighter, less masala taste. I also added about 1/2 tsp. turmeric for a nice color and flavor along with the other powdered spices.
This was so delicious! I followed the directions pretty much to the letter, except that I pre-steamed the veggies rather than pre-microwaving them. This was hard to stop eating. One note: the mustard seeds go from toasted to burnt really fast, so make sure to watch them closely.
I halved this recipe and made it for lunch this afternoon. I used 1 small tomato(peeled and chopped), juice of 1/2 a lemon(instead of mango powder), 3/4 tsp salt(instead of 1tsp),1/2 cup water(to cook the potatoes and cauliflower that I'd microwaved for 8 minutes) and 1 onion(the usual purple one). I did not use ginger and oil at all. I made this in my AMC's Dutch Oven and it turned out fantastic! Thank You for the easy and great recipe!