This is really one of my favorite Indian dishes, it is so simple to make and its packed with flavor! If your an eggplant fanatic like me, you'll love it :3
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 lb russet potato, boiled, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1lb)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne garlic paste (*see below)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped fairly fine
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (optional)
- *Garlic Cayenne paste: 4 cloves of garlic pulverized, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you want), 1 teaspoon ground cumin mashed into the garlic. It helps to put a little sea or kosher salt in to act as an abrasive.
- Heat oil over medium in large saucepan, add mustard seeds. Once seeds begin to pop, add potato and eggplant and stir-fry for a few minutes (if the start sticking a lot, add a little more oil).
- Add the dry spices and salt and continue stir-frying for a few minutes until all spices are well blended; mix in garlic paste, breaking up any lumps.
- Add 3/4 cup water (you may need more, maybe not; 3/4 cup is a good starting point), lower heat and cover pan.
- Cook about 15 minutes or until the eggplant and potatoes are soft. If the sauce begins to dry up add a little more water.
- Add tomato and cook two or three more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro if you wish.