Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Recipe uses large pearl tapioca and a crock pot. Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2004.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces large pearl tapioca, approximately 1/2 cup
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
- Place tapioca in a medium mixing bowl along with the water, cover, and let stand overnight.
- Drain water from tapioca.
- Place the tapioca into a slow cooker along with the milk, heavy cream, and salt.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and sugar.
- Temper small amounts of the tapioca into the egg mixture until you have added at least 1 cup; add this back into the remaining tapioca in the slow cooker.
- Add the lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes, stirring at least once.
- Transfer the pudding to a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 1 hour and then place in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.
This is a wonderful way to make tapioca pudding. I did substitute vanilla as my son does not care for lemon. For convenience I always use a crock pot liner for easy clean up. :)
I really like this recipe. I have successfully substituted the lemon zest with: 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 cup chocolate syrup, 1/4 maple syrup. All were excellent. I have also substituted half-and-half for the heavy cream; it's not quite as rich, but still quite good. (All milk just wasn't rich enough.)
This was okay but nothing outstanding. For the fat content I was expecting a lot more.