Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Good Eats Season 9 Episode 4 Churn Baby Churn II
Make and share this Alton Brown's Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- 9 ounces vanilla sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a medium sauce pan combine the half and half and heavy cream, stir over medium heat until just boiling.
- Blend the egg yokes and SLOWLY add the sugar until all mixed.
- Temper in the heated milk mixture.
- Return to saucepan and over low heat bring mixture to 170 degrees.
- Move to chilled metal bowl.
- After slight cooling, add vanilla extract.
- Chill until mixture reaches 40 degrees (usually overnight).
- Add mixture to machine and add any additional flavorings.
I love Good Eats! We have used this recipe several times after seeing it on TV a few years ago. It always turns out great, no matter what you add to it.