Recipe by Xexe
There is no serving amount because alton said it depends on how much you like haggis.... I know i won't try this recipe..but maybe some bold soul will.
Top Review by Plaisham
AAACCCH!!!!! Ye donna boil the haggis!!! It will split!! a low rolling simmer. and for goodness sake put some pepper in it. and soom garlic and soom more herbs. By the way I love haggis
- 1 sheep stomach
- 1 sheep liver
- 1 sheep heart
- 1 sheep tongue
- 1⁄2 lb suet, minced
- 3 medium onions, minced
- 1⁄2 lb dry oats, toasted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the stomach thoroughly and soak overnight in cold salted water.
- Rinse the liver, heart, and tongue.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook these parts over medium heat for 2 hours.
- Remove and mince.
- Remove any gristle or skin and discard.
- In a large bowl, combine the minced liver, heart, tongue, suet, onions, and toasted oats.
- Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs.
- Moisten with some of the cooking water so the mixture binds.
- Remove the stomach from the cold salted water and fill 2/3 with the mixture.
- Sew or tie the stomach closed.
- Use a turning fork to pierce the stomach several times.
- This will prevent the haggis from bursting.
- In a large pot of boiling water, gently place the filled stomach, being careful not to splash.
- Cook over high heat for 3 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, if you serve it at all.