1/1 Photo of Alton Brown's Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes
MaMa's Apprentice's Note:
I've tried many whole wheat pancake recipes. Some were good, some not so good but I never had one make me say, "Wow! A truly fluffy whole wheat pancake!" until this one. Posting it here so I don't lose it! We love to eat these for dinner with some turkey sausage. Very filling!
My Private Note
4-in pa ...
Units: US | Metric
The Dry Goods
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
The Wet Works
- 1Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients. (I just melted the butter slightly before adding it in with the eggs and buttermilk.).
- 2Add the wet stuff to the dry stuff and mix just until batter comes together. Do NOT mix smooth. Set aside batter to rest for 5 minutes.
- 3* Heat an electric griddle to 350 degrees or place a nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat.
- 4*Test the griddle by flicking water on it. If the water dances across the surface, you’re good to go.
- 5* Rub down the griddle with a little butter or spray with nonstick spray.
- 6Ladle 1 scoop of batter onto the griddle. (Batter will be thick! Just spread it out with the bottom of your ladle or the back of a spoon.) Cook until bubbles form in the batter and bottom is golden, approximately three minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is golden, another a minute or so. Adjust the heat as necessary as you go along. Serve while hot!
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alton Brown's Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.7
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 128.4 mg
- Sodium 996.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 15.2 g