I've tried many whole wheat pancake recipes. Some were good, some not so good but I never had one make me say, "Wow! A truly fluffy whole wheat pancake!" until this one. Posting it here so I don't lose it! We love to eat these for dinner with some turkey sausage. Very filling!
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients. (I just melted the butter slightly before adding it in with the eggs and buttermilk.).
- Add the wet stuff to the dry stuff and mix just until batter comes together. Do NOT mix smooth. Set aside batter to rest for 5 minutes.
- * Heat an electric griddle to 350 degrees or place a nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat.
- *Test the griddle by flicking water on it. If the water dances across the surface, you’re good to go.
- * Rub down the griddle with a little butter or spray with nonstick spray.
- Ladle 1 scoop of batter onto the griddle. (Batter will be thick! Just spread it out with the bottom of your ladle or the back of a spoon.) Cook until bubbles form in the batter and bottom is golden, approximately three minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is golden, another a minute or so. Adjust the heat as necessary as you go along. Serve while hot!