Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I've tried many whole wheat pancake recipes. Some were good, some not so good but I never had one make me say, "Wow! A truly fluffy whole wheat pancake!" until this one. Posting it here so I don't lose it! We love to eat these for dinner with some turkey sausage. Very filling!
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients. (I just melted the butter slightly before adding it in with the eggs and buttermilk.).
- Add the wet stuff to the dry stuff and mix just until batter comes together. Do NOT mix smooth. Set aside batter to rest for 5 minutes.
- * Heat an electric griddle to 350 degrees or place a nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat.
- *Test the griddle by flicking water on it. If the water dances across the surface, you’re good to go.
- * Rub down the griddle with a little butter or spray with nonstick spray.
- Ladle 1 scoop of batter onto the griddle. (Batter will be thick! Just spread it out with the bottom of your ladle or the back of a spoon.) Cook until bubbles form in the batter and bottom is golden, approximately three minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is golden, another a minute or so. Adjust the heat as necessary as you go along. Serve while hot!
Like georgiapea I used KA white whole wheat, but added a quarter cup of quick oats and a little extra buttermilk. Next time I will use brown sugar and may soak oats with a little buttermilk before adding to batter. Also, I made a blueberry compote with 4 cups frozen blueberries, about 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, and about 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice. Next time will add blueberries to batter or on top of 'cakes after pouring batter into pan. Definitely will make again.
These were delicious! I used white whole wheat flour and made some of them in bunny shapes for Easter. They were super fluffy! I think next time I would use only 2 Tbsp butter just to cut down on the fat content. Thanks for sharing, I will make these again!
These were great! I made about 50 pancakes and froze them. It's so nice to have them on hand.