Alton Brown's corn dogs.I haven't tried it yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 gallon peanut oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced (approximately 1 large)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup finely grated onion
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch, for dredging
- 8 beef hot dogs
- 1Pour oil into a deep fryer or large heavy pot and heat to 375 degrees F.
- 2In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cayenne pepper.
- 3In a separate bowl, combine the jalapeno, corn, onion, and buttermilk.
- 4Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients all at once, and stir only enough times to bring the batter together; there should be lumps.
- 5Set batter aside and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- 6Scatter the cornstarch into a dry pie pan.
- 7Roll each hot dog in the cornstarch and tap well to remove any excess.
- 8Transfer enough batter to almost fill a large drinking glass.
- 9Refill the glass as needed.
- 10Place each hot dog on chopsticks, and quickly dip in and out of the batter.
- 11Immediately and carefully place each hot dog into the oil, and cook until coating is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 12With tongs, remove to cooling rack, and allow to drain for 3 to 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alton Brown's Corn Dogs
Serving Size: 1 (4787 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4138.4
- Calories from Fat 4019
- Total Fat 446.5 g
- Saturated Fat 78.6 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 1174.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 10.0 g