5 hrs 30 mins
From Food TV's "Good Eats". Cook's note: A city ham is basically any brined ham that is packed in a plastic bag, held in a refrigerated case and marked "ready to cook", "partially cooked" or "ready to serve". Better city hams are also labeled "ham in natural juices". Posted in response to a request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
- 2Remove ham from bag, rinse and drain thoroughly.
- 3Place ham, cut side down, in a roasting pan.
- 4Using a small paring knife or clean utility knife set to the smallest blade setting, score the ham from bottom to top, spiraling clockwise as you cut.
- 5(If you are using a paring knife, be careful to only cut through the skin and first few layers of fat).
- 6Rotate the ham after each cut so that the scores are no more than 2-inches across.
- 7Once you have made it all the way around, move the knife to the other hand and repeat, spiraling counter clockwise.
- 8The aim is to create a diamond pattern all over the ham.
- 9(Don't worry too much about precision here.) Tent the ham with heave duty foil, insert a thermometer, and cook for 3 to 4 hours or until the internal temperature at the deepest part of the meat registers 130 degrees F.
- 10Remove and use tongs to pull away the diamonds of skin and any sheets of fat that come off with them.
- 11Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 12Dab dry with paper towels, then brush on a liberal coat of mustard, using either a basting brush or a clean point brush (clean--as in never-touched paint).
- 13Sprinkle on brown sugar, packing loosely as you go until the ham is coated.
- 14Spritz this layer lightly with bourbon, then loosely pack on as much of the crushed cookies as you can. NOTE: A small empty spray bottle from the drug store is perfect.
- 15Insert the thermometer (don't use the old hole) and return to the oven (uncovered).
- 16Cook until interior temperature reaches 140 degrees F, approximately 1 hour.
- 17Let the roast rest for 1/2 hour before carving.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alton Brown's City Ham
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.9
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 165.4 mg
- Sodium 4834.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 42.6 g
- Protein 71.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: