Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Published in the AJC, this is supposedly Alton Brown's absolute favorite recipe to prepare.
- 1 whole chickens, cut into 8 pieces (broiiler or fryer) or 10 chicken thighs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 sprigs parsley, sage and thyme (fresh)
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 10 shallots, peeled and split in half from stem to root
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper. toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide, straight-sided, ovenproof frying pan or skillet over high heat. (If you don't have such a pan, you may need to brown the chicken in one pan and then finish the dish in a casserole.).
- remove from heat; add herbs, garlic, shallots and the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil. (There's no reason to chop the herbs; just distribute them around and in between the chicken pieces.) Cover and bake for 1-1/2 hours.