Recipe by bmiene
very good tasting b and b's very simple to make always a good recipe to have around during cucumber harvest time i double or triple this recipe every time
Top Review by JanieTeachGal
I've now made two batches of these. I didn't have pickling spices, so (altering a recipe for pickling spices on here) I used a touch of fennel seed, a few coriander seeds, a few peppercorns, a dash of red pepper flakes, and a bit over 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed (the 1/2 teaspoon called for in the pickle recipe plus a bit more to cover for the pickling spices). This is a great gift as well as a great treat for yourself. They are edible within 12 hours of refrigeration, but the longer they chill, the better they are.
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pickling spices
Directions See How It's Made
- combine onion cucumber slices in a clean ait tight jar or container.
- combine the remaining ingredients in a non reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil simmer for 4 minutes to wake up the flavors of the spices.
- slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the onions and cucumber slices completely filling the jar
- allow the pickles to cool to room temperature beforetopping off with any remaining pickling liquid the refridgerate.