Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
very good tasting b and b's very simple to make always a good recipe to have around during cucumber harvest time i double or triple this recipe every time
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pickling spices
- combine onion cucumber slices in a clean ait tight jar or container.
- combine the remaining ingredients in a non reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil simmer for 4 minutes to wake up the flavors of the spices.
- slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the onions and cucumber slices completely filling the jar
- allow the pickles to cool to room temperature beforetopping off with any remaining pickling liquid the refridgerate.
I've now made two batches of these. I didn't have pickling spices, so (altering a recipe for pickling spices on here) I used a touch of fennel seed, a few coriander seeds, a few peppercorns, a dash of red pepper flakes, and a bit over 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed (the 1/2 teaspoon called for in the pickle recipe plus a bit more to cover for the pickling spices). This is a great gift as well as a great treat for yourself. They are edible within 12 hours of refrigeration, but the longer they chill, the better they are.
Very easy to make and didn't take alot of time. I had too many cucumbers and no idea what to do with all of them. This was the perfect answer. Oh, and quite tasty too!