Recipe by Moonshadow_Girl
From the Good Eats episode: This Spud's for you. I was looking for information on how long to bake potatoes in the oven and came across this basic recipe from Alton Brown. Perfect potatoes every time! I wanted to include it here so I can add it to my Cookbook.
Top Review by NannyMarvel
Absolutely amazing - I have always loved baked potatoes in restaurants but never could achieve the same result at home. My potatoes were always too dry or too moist on the outside - the insides were always a surprise. This recipe turns out perfect potatoes every time - better than a restaurant. I put some white truffle oil in with the canola and that was soooo good. Thanks for posting.
- 1 -4 russet potato
- canola oil (or any oil you prefer, a lighter type works best)
- kosher salt (regular salt works too if you don't have Kosher Salt)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash potatoes thoroughly with a stiff brush and cold running water.
- Dry, then using a standard fork poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the potatoes.
- Place in a bowl and coat lightly with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt
- Place potatoes directly on top rack in middle of oven. Place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
- Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp and inside feels soft.
- NOTE: If you're cooking more than 4 potatoes, you'll need to extend the cooking time by up to 15 minutes.