Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from "Good Eats". We thought we would give it a try. My husband was told to try to reduce his wheat & gluten. They are SO GOOD! You wouldn't even know they were gluten free! This was my first gluten free recipe to try & I'm not nervous anymore!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- In separate bowl, combine brown rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca flour, xnthan gum, salt & baking soda.
- In mixing bowl, pour melted butter over brown sugar & sugar. Mix together until creamed.
- Add egg & egg yolk, milk & vanilla & mix until incorporated.
- Slowly add flour and mix until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop dough into 1 inch balls. Bake in 375 oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, let cool on the pans for a couple minutes. Remove from the pan to finish cooling.
To a family who is new to cooking without gluten- these cookies were easy to make and really easy to eat! I only had white rice flour on hand and the cookies turned out GREAT. Make sure to keep the dough in the fridge the entire hour before cooking.
My family LOVED these! I'm not a huge fan of rice flour so I changed it to 1/2 c rice flour, 1/2 c almond flour, 1/2 c sorghum flour, and 1/2 c quinoa flour. Was a little thrown off by the gooey texture at first but then read the part that said to refrigerate the dough for an hour! They turned out fabulous! Thank you for sharing!
These were pretty good cookies. The taste was awesome, and they were nice and chewy as promised. However, they had the distinctive 'sand' texture of gluten-free baked goods. Sorry! If it wasn't for that, I would have given 5 stars. One thing I especially liked was how these cookies didn't fall apart at the touch like many other gf ones. A nice recipe, I may adjust the flour ratios to achieve a sand-free texture next time.