Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Found out my husband has high cholesterol, but he loves waldorf salad...so I got creative and made it with extra veggies and lemon juice and it's now a low calorie, low cholesterol winner..he loved it! Hope you do too.
- 1 large Red Delicious apple
- 1 cup walnuts (shelled)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 25 baby carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or splenda)
- cut apple into quarters, remove heart/seeds and then cut into chunks.
- next julienne the carrots and slice the celery putting in large bowl as you go then mix the rest of the ingredients into the bowl making sure to cover the apples completely with lemon juice and sugar as you stir to prevent browning/oxidizing. Chill and enjoy. You can change the amounts listed to suit your taste and add other things or other nuts that you enjoy -- there's no wrong way to do this recipe and it takes a short time for a big bang!
Great side dish which I really made into more of a slaw by chopping the ingredients smaller. I didn't have raisins or lemon juice so substituted a little white wine. It had a crisp light taste which balanced very well with the stronger flavors of the Parmesan Garlic Chicken Breasts #234175 and Ranch Potatoes #251727. I think I'm reserving the 5ht star for the missing mayo, but this salad is good (and healthier).