Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious and satisfying recipe I recommend using Lightlife's lemon tempeh burgers.
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) packages tempeh burgers, diced
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Boil or steam potatoes 20 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to medium bowl (reserve cooking water) and mash with potato masher adding tablespoonfuls of cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook stirring 5 to 7 minutes until soft.
- Stir in sauerkraut. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in tempeh and cook 1 to 2 minutes until heated through season with pepper.
- Coat 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray; add tempeh mixture. Add potatoes on top and brush with the rest of the oil.
- Bake 30 minutes, then broil 1 to 2 minutes or until topped is lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
Yumm, this turned out quite tasty. Used ukon gold taters and a dash of carraway seeds in the tempeh/sauerkraut mixture, but otherwise followed the recipe. Loved the taste of the lemon tempeh grilles with the sauerkraut- they were fab together. Thanks for posting this great recipe, it was perfect for a weeknight meal. I'm always looking for vegetarian dishes using saurkraut!