Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
In Alsace this cheese salad is served as a first course. This recipe was adopted from Vegetarian Times magazine.
- 2 tablespoons red wine or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups gruyere (about 8 oz) or 2 cups emmenthaler cheese, grated (about 8 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 12 slices crusty bread
- lettuce (optional)
- tomatoes, slices (optional)
- Whisk together vinegar and mustard in medium bowl. Add oil and 2 T water, and whisk until combined.
- Stir in cheese, parsley and shallots, and toss until combined.
- Spoon 1/3 cup cheese mixture onto each of 6 slices of bread. Garnish with lettuce and tomato, if desired, and top with remaining bread slices.