Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From "Cooking with Beer", Good Food Magazine March 1988
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut into 8 serving pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle ale or 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 -3 teaspoons mild grainy mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 T. butter and the oil in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until well browned on all sides, 15-18 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to plate; pour any fat on plate back into skillet.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to small plate.
- Pour off fat from skillet, leaving thin film of fat and browned bits. Add shallots to skillet and cook until slightly softened, 30-60 seconds. Pour in beef and 1/4 cup cream. Heat to boiling, scraping sides and bottom of skillet with wooden spoon.
- Return chicken to skillet, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer, turning pieces once, until chicken is tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to warm serving platter, cover, and keep warm. (Recipe can be prepared in advance up to this point.).
- Skim fat from surface of sauce. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup cream and the mushrooms. Heat to boiling and boil vigorously until sauce is reduce by half. Skim off excess fat if necessary. Stir in mustard, black and cayenne peppers, and any juice from chicken. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove sauce from heat and whisk in remaining 1 T. butter. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot over buttered noodles.
This was very good. I think next time I make this I will use creme fraiche to give it a little bit of a sour taste.
ZWT4: OUTSTANDING!! I love the flavor combination of the beer, cream and mustard with the cayenne kick!!