Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
I changed a recipe I found a year ago on the internet, I think the changes make this spicy sweet dish really easy to make and taste like it was from a resaurant.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly roasted sichuan peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 large chicken legs with thigh or 2 (3/4 lb) chicken breasts, boned and skinned, fat and membranes removed, and cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, for dusting
For the sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dark soy sauce or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons Chinese white rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons shao-hsing rice wine
- 6 small dried hot chili peppers
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced green onion
- 3 1⁄2 cups peanut oil or 3 1⁄2 cups cooking oil, for deep-frying and stir-frying
- In a pestle and mortar grind the Sichuan pepper and salt together into a fine powder, cover the sliced chicken with the salt and sichuan pepper mixture.
- In a bowl, mix together the egg, and 2 tablespoons cornstarch.
- Add the chicken slices, mix to coat, and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet sauce ingredients, sugar and reserve.
- Heat a wok over high heat.
- Add oil and heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In batches, using tongs, remove the chicken slices individually, dust with 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and place in the oil.
- Deep-fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until the chicken is browned and crispy.
- Remove the chicken with a Chinese strainer and drain well.
- Turn off the heat.
- Pour off all but 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil from the wok.
- Heat the wok over high heat until a little smoke appears from the oil.
- Add the chilies and stir for 15 seconds.
- Add the garlic and ginger followed by the green onion and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir the sauce mixture, pour into the wok, stir well, and cook until the chicken slices are completely coated with sauce, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and serve.