Recipe by Milkman's Daughter
This is in memory of my dad. He would cook dinner when my mother worked nights and she would tell him to fix something "healthy" for us kids. Hope you enjoy it :). Be prepared to eat this with a fork. (Preparation and cooking time depends on how you cook your dogs and chili and whether you buy shredded lettuce and cheese).
Top Review by zaar mate
We loved the additon of lettuce and tomatoes to our chili dogs! (we already used onion and cheese on ours) I thought the lettuce took away from the heaviness of the chili and made these really yummy! Who knew something so simple could make such a difference?! We also toasted the insides of our buns before assembling. I will be making mine this way from now on....Delish! ;-) Five stars and two thumbs up for Al!
- 1 (8 ounce) package hot dogs (your favorite)
- 1 (8 ounce) package hot dog buns (your favorite)
- 1 (8 ounce) packageof shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
- 1 head lettuce (chopped or shredded)
- 2 roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 1⁄2 onion (chopped)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans fat-free turkey chili
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook hot dogs however you like (boiled, broiled or grilled).
- Heat Chili in saucepan on stove or in bowl in microwave.
- Chop lettuce, tomatoes and onions and put in separate bowls.
- Let everyone assemble their own (that's the beauty of Dad cooking). My favorite is laying the hot dog bun out on the plate, add the hot dog, cover bun and hot dog with chili, top chili with cheese (to melt), top cheese with lettuce (as much as you like), top lettuce with tomatoes, then onions. Enjoy!