Recipe by Al Hunt
This has been described as very close to the Dad's cookies we all remember from our youth. I don't know about that, but if you want a flat basic cookie you can customize, this is it! Try adding rolled oats and rice crispies. Or almond butter and slivered almonds. Peanut butter and chocolate chips. This will take two large mixing bowls. If you plan to make this recipe, start by taking the butter and eggs out to warm then to room temperature. That'll take ½ to 1 hour. I use uninsulated cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk all the dry ingredients (salt, too) together in a separate bowl.
- Cream the butter.
- Add the white sugar and mix well.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the rest of the sugar (and ya, mix well).
- Add the two mixes together and mix well.
- Roll into a 1 inch ball.
- Drop into a small mixing bowl of brown sugar to coat the outside completely.
- Place on the cookie sheet and flatten with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 14 minutes.