Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Vermouth or Gruppa flavor the onions, all spun together with rich Swis Gruy'ere Cheese. This version has no potatoes added to the pasta.You could cut back on the high fat by using fat free half and half and omitting the bacon, but why?
- 17 ounces pasta (elbow macaroni)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 dash vermouth (Gruppa is good also)
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (swiss bacon know as lardoons)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese (grated)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- green onion (garnish-optional)
- Cook pasta per package directions; set aside.
- Cook bacon or lardon" until cooked, but not crispy; set aside; pour off grease, but don't wipe out pan; add onions and butter, cook 3-5 minutes until onion is translucent, douse with vermouth or gruppa, steam a few minutes; add cream, bring just to hot heat, add cheese.
- Continue cooking until bubbly and creamy, add bacon, pour into bowls, serve with sliced green onions if desired.
What a great change from the traditional Mac & Cheese. Wonderful blend of flavors. I served this as a side with Sour Cream Pork Chops. Thanks for a delicious recipe. Made for ZWT7 Golden Gourmets.
When I read the ingredients, I thought this would be macaroni and cheese with bacon, but it wasn't. The sauce was much lighter, and the cheese flavor was more subtle. A nice change of pace :-) For ZWT7 silverados.