Recipe by Manami
Another take on the "old" green bean casserole. I have played around with this for a while now and this is the end result. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 lb fresh green beans or 1 lb frozen green beans, cut into French style
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup finely sliced onion
- 1 1⁄2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms (I use button)
- 1 cup sour cream
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese (Emmanthaler, Gruyere or Jarlsberg)
- 1⁄3 cup dried breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Steam green beans, if using fresh, over boiling water until crisply tender, 3-5 minutes,.
- If using frozen, follow directions on pkg.
- When cooked through but still crunchy remove from steamer(plunge beans into an ice bath).
- Drain and pat dry before continuing.
- In large skillet, melt 2 or 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine and add the onion, cook until translucent.
- Then add mushrooms and cook, until moisture has evaporated.
- Then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in sour cream, cheese, green beans, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix to coat all ingredients and turn off heat.
- Lightly coat a shallow baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread green mixture evenly in baking dish.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Dot with remaining 1 or 2 tablespoons butter or margarine.
- (At this point can be refrigerated up to 24 hours before baking; just bring back to room temperature before baking.).
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and sauce is bubbly.
- Serve hot or warm.