Prep 45 mins
Cook 34 mins
A fun family meal. Serve with cornbread. Has a tomato-y broth that my family likes.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 zucchini, unpeeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh peas or 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup alphabet pasta
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, combine beef, onion, and garlic; stir/satue, breaking up the meat with a spoon, for about 5 minutes or until meat is browned and onion/garlic are tender (add in a little oil, if needed).
- Add in tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato juice, broth, water, seasonings, carrots, celery, and zucchini.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; lower heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add in peas and pasta; cook about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender; adjust seasoning to taste.