Recipe by Chef Skie
Good hearty soup for those cold and rainy days, and so easy to make, just pitch it all in the crock pot! I made the mistake of putting the noodles in and letting it go too long, and they totally dissolved. It still tasted fine, it was just thicker. Make sure you put them in no more than an hour before you're ready to serve. I also use whatever meat is cheap, doesn't have to be sirloin because it's gonna cook all day. From Family Circle 10/7/09
Top Review by Laura O.
I made this over the stove with macaroni noodles, a little less meat, and a little extra broth. Used all canned vegetables except for sliced carrots. This soup is a new favorite. Don't forget to add all the salt required at the beginning of the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef sirloin, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, snipped and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups uncooked alphabet pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- add beef, a few pieces at a time, and cook 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add onion and carrots to skillet and saute 3 minutes.
- Transfer contents of skillet to slow cooker and add tomato sauce, beef and chicken broths, and green beans.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove lid and add the peas, corn, and noodles and stir inches.
- Cover and cook for an additional 45 minutes to an hour before serving.