This is a favorite from my childhood. My mother found it in Sunset Magazine back in the late 70's and made it a winter staple. It's cheap, low in fat, and high in all the good stuff. Leftovers make great lunches during the following week.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 14 1/2 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 eggplant, diced (don't peel it)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 -4 celery ribs, chopped (it's OK to include the leaves)
- 3 -4 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 4 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1Place ground beef in soup pot, add garlic and onion, and cook until beef is browned.
- 2Chop remaining vegetables to desired size while waiting for meat to cook.
- 3Spoon meat fat out of pot if necessary and add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- 4Add veggies and all seasonings. Add just enough water to cover everything in the pot.
- 5Simmer, don't boil, 'til carrots are tender but still a little crisp.
- 6Add noodles and continue to simmer 'til they're cooked.
- 7Remove bay leaf.
- 8Serve with romono cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alotizzip Eggplant Soup
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.2
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 51.6 mg
- Sodium 846.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 19.2 g