Recipe by Alotizzip73
This is a fantastic way to get your pasta fix without sticking to the norm. It's got sharp flavored ingredients that appeal very much to me. Of course, add/subtract/substitute where you see fit.
Top Review by Buster's friend
Wonderful recipe! Cut 2 whole breasts from a bird into strips & proceded as directed. Doubled sauce & added about a teaspoon of fennel seed. Got pulled away from stove so added a cup of chardonnay & let simmer after step 7. Added 1/2 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley a couple of minutes before plating. Served as suggested with rigatoni. Otstanding piquant gently tempered by the balsamic vinegar. I can't wait to make with garden fresh tomatoes & basil w/o interruption this summer. Thank you Alotizzi for a real keeper!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned fine breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons romano cheese, finely grated
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 15 -20 kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
- 1 tablespoon petite capers
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 16 ounces rigatoni pasta, al dente
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together breadcrumbs and Romano cheese.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4" or so.
- Using large, deep-sided frying pan, heat olive oil. Don't allow to smoke as you'll need it for moisture in the sauce.
- Add thinly sliced garlic and begin to soften and flavor the oil.
- Rinse chicken with tap water, then dredge through breadcrumb/cheese mixture. Use fingers to mash mixture onto chicken so that every surface is breaded and all of mixture is used.
- Fry breasts 'til lightly browned (no more pink juices) and remove to a plate. Keep warm. Add additional oil as needed- it's good for you!
- To garlicky pan, add tomatoes- with juice- vinegar, olives, basil, and pepper flakes. Scrape free any bits from bottom of pan and bring to low simmer.
- Plate each chicken breast, scoop a mound of noodles onto the side and smother with some sauce.
- Sprinkle with more Romano cheese and serve immediately.
- Serve immediately.