Recipe by eatrealfood
I found this recipe when I was looking to make some healthier flatbreads that were flavorful but that didn't involve frying or loads of ghee. I adapted this from Neelam Batra's 1000 Indian Recipes. It's really very simple to make since it involves no kneading, or messing up mixers and stuff.
Top Review by HappyBunny
I am on a wheat free diet at the moment and made these with a flour containing a mix of maize, millet, barley and rice. The taste was divine and they were really easy to make. I did find that they were difficult to roll without bits breaking off, but I think that may be because I am a roti novice and may have not got the dough to the right consistency. Either way, I loved my dinner today and thank you for giving me rotis to devour while I am on this horrendous diet! I'm making them again on Saturday ;)
- 2 large potatoes
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml dried fenugreek leaves
- 4.92 ml mint leaf
- 29.58 ml fresh cilantro
- 1 green chili pepper, sliced fine
- 14.79 ml ginger paste
- 1.23 ml ajwain, seends coarsely ground
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml nonfat plain yogurt (if needed)
- flour, for dusting
- butter, to baste
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes till tender, then grate them.
- Mix together in a large bowl, the wholewheat flour, AP flour, fenugreek and mint leaves, cilantro, chili, ginger, ajwain seeds, salt and pepper.
- Mix in the grated potatoes and oil.
- You should have a semi-firm dough that does not stick to your fingers, but if you don't have enough moisture, add some of the optional yogurt to yield a dough of such consistency.
- Do not knead the dough anymore than needed to incorporate everything. There is also no need to let it rest.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 balls with lightly oiled, clean hands.
- Dust your rolling surface with some flour, and roll each ball into a thin 6-inch circle.
- Heat your griddle over medium-high heat and cook the breads until they are speckled with golden dots on each side. This should take about a minute per side.
- Remove from griddle, brush with butter and serve.