1/1 Photo of Aloo Rasdar - Indian Potato in Gravy Ala Rukshana
1 hr 10 mins
magpie diner's Note:
My old roomie Rukshana sent this to me when she returned home to India, many moons ago. It's hard to say how many it serves, I've only ever made as a side dish. If you're new to dried mango powder, most asian food stores carry it, although I don't think it would be the end of the world if you left it out. I'm sure there are numerous variations to this dish, as is the case with most Indian recipes - this is very simple yet tasty. You might want to adjust the chilies, this is fairly hot. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 russet potatoes, washed and quartered
- 2 cups green peas
- 2 tablespoons light oil (ie coconut, grapeseed, canola, peanut)
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 green chilies, deveined and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchur)
- 3 coriander sprigs, chopped
- sea salt
- 1The original recipe calls for pressure cooking the potatoes with the peas for 8 minutes. I don't use a pressure cooker, so I just boil the potatoes until tender, adding in frozen peas at the end just to warm them up. Strain and set aside.
- 2Heat oil over medium and saute the onions till lightly brown. Add the ginger and garlic, green chilies and let it saute together for a few minutes. Add turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, dry mango powder and fry well.
- 3Add the potatoes to the pan, along with the peas, tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups of water. Salt to taste.
- 4Simmer on low until the gravy thicken slightly.
- 5Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aloo Rasdar - Indian Potato in Gravy Ala Rukshana
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.8
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 37.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: