I got this recipe from my friend Rupali. It's good for a fast and easy side dish to an indian meal. Also, if it is made with less chilli powder, it is excellent as a snack for kids. They'll eat them right up.
- Add water to the Besan.
- Besan has a tendency to be very clumpy, so you should add just a few tablespoons at a time to keep the batter smooth.
- Add the Chilli powder, cumin powder, garlic, ginger, salt and chopped coriander and stir the batter.
- The potatoes should be sliced very thinly.
- No thicker than 1/4 of an inch.
- At this point test one slice of potato in the batter.
- There should just be a thin coat of batter.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Use a larger frying pan so that you have more surface area.
- The oil doesn't need to be too deep since the potato slices are very thin.
- Dip the potato slices in the batter and fry them till they are golden brown.
- Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and set them on a paper towel for a minute to soak up the excess oil.