Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a traditional bengali specialty. Poppy seeds and potatoes are definitely a match made in heaven!
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 whole dry kashmiri red chilies, broken into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 teaspoons green chilies, finely chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, cubes, cooked
- 1.Dry roast the poppy seeds on a tava (griddle) for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 2.Grind coarsely in a mixer and keep aside.
- 3.Heat the oil in a pan, add the red chillies, turmeric powder, ground poppy seeds and green chillies and sauté for 1 minute.
- 4.Add the potatoes and salt and toss well.
- 5.Serve hot.
These potatoes were good and worked well with the beef curry we had them with. Just one problem-there is no way raw potato could cook in the time given and the way the instructions read, so I had to assume I was supposed to use cooked cubed potatoes.
These are some serious potatoes Lavender Lynn. We really enjoyed these spicy, tender, crisp potatoes. The flavor is out of this world good. The sesame seeds really elevate the potatoe. I didn't grind the sesame seeds after theiy were toasted. It was sooo good. I'm so embarrased I just realize that I should have used poppy seeds instead of sesame seeds. I'll just have to try this dish again, not a hardship. Made for Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT-8 - India