Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
a yummy bengali dish found online...
- 6 big potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, roasted (khus khus)
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 3 green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- chopped fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Grind the roasted poppy seeds along with the green chilli (es) and a few tablespoons of water to a very fine paste.
- Keep aside.
- Heat half of the oil in a pan for 2 minute (s) till very hot.
- Shallow fry the cubed potatoes in batches on medium heat till they are lightly browned.
- Drain on a paper towel and keep aside.
- Now, heat the remaining oil in the same pan.
- Add the whole dry red chilli (es) and turmeric powder.
- Fry briefly.
- To this, add the poppy seed paste and fry again on medium/ low heat for 5 minutes till the oil has left the sides of the pan.
- Add now the fried potato cubes and mix well.
- Add water and salt.
- Stir, cover and keep on low heat for 15 minutes till the potatoes are soft.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.