1/2 Photos of Aloo Paratha (Indian Potato-Stuffed Flatbreads)
1 hr 30 mins
This Indian-styled stovetop bread is a wonderful addition to any meal. However, it has been my humble experience that it goes fantastically with Chef Dave's Roasted Eggplant Soup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 medium potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed citrus juice (, I use grapefruit, but lemon works like a charm)
- kalamata olive, chopped,to taste
- 1Boil potatoes in salted water to cover, until tender.
- 2While potatoes cook, mix the flours, cumin, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 3Add 2 tablespoons of oil, then water.
- 4Mix until this becomes a defined (albeit sticky) ball of dough.
- 5Remove and knead until smooth, adding flour or water as necessary.
- 6Cover dough with plastic wrap and set aside while preparing potatoes.
- 7When potatoes are finished (tender), remove, drain and mash them with cayenne, salt, pepper, citrus juice, olives and 1 tablespoon of oil.
- 8Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- 9On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 12-inch long snake and cut into 12 pieces.
- 10Roll each piece into about 4-inch round.
- 11Spoon 1-2 tablespoon of potato mixture into round, then fold over edges to enclose completely.
- 12Pinch dough closed and press down to distribute filling evenly.
- 13Heat a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- 14Add another tablespoon of oil to skillet, then pour out (you just want a thin film of oil on pan).
- 15Cook each bread for about 3 minutes per side, until brown spots appear.
- 16Repeat until all are done.
- 17Serve hot or room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aloo Paratha (Indian Potato-Stuffed Flatbreads)
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.7
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 398.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: