Recipe by -Sylvie-
I got this aloo palak recipe from daawat.com, but have adjusted it slightly to my liking. It will serve two as a main course when served with naan bread or rice, or four as a side dish. If you like it a little milder deseed the chilies.
Top Review by Shakahari
Fantastic recipe! I didn't have waxy potatoes on hand but it still worked well with regular potatoes. I also cooked the ingredients differently in order to brown the onions and fry the spices as is common in Indian cooking. My cooking method is as follows: First saute the garlic, ginger, onions and green chili together till the onion started to brown. Then add the spinach and cook till it wilts and puree. Cook the potatoes without any turmeric or salt till almost done (I just cut into cubes and microwaved for about 5 minutes.) In a deep fry pan fry the cumin seeds for about 20 seconds till they start to lightly brown and then add the turmeric and other powdered spices and fry for about 20 seconds to bring out the flavor. Add the spinach-onion paste, salt, and potatoes and cook for a few minutes for the flavors to absorb and the potatoes to fully cook.
- 300 g spinach, fresh or frozen
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 -2 green chili, chopped with seeds
- 200 g waxy potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pan cook the spinach with garlic, ginger, onions and the green chilies for about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and blend to a fine puree and keep aside.
- In the meantime boil the potatoes with salt and turmeric until done, apprximately 10 minutes and set aside when done.
- Heat ghee in a pan, fry cumin seeds along with spinach-onion paste and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the cooked potatoes, garam masala, coriander and cumin powder and a little water if needed.
- Simmer for few minutes till the potatoes absorb the flavor.
- Add fresh cream if desired.