Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious concoction I created. It's tasty, my husband loves it, and it's even better with paneer!
Make and share this Aloo Matar (Paneer Optional) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large potatoes, raw, cut into cubes (aloo)
- 1 cup peas (matar)
- 1⁄2 cup paneer cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 green chili pepper, minced (adjust for preference on spiciness)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (to garnish, coriander)
- Heat oil in pressure cooker if you have one. If not, any pot/pan will do.
- Add onions and stir constantly until slightly brown.
- Add garlic and ginger to onions and stir constantly until mixture is brown.
- Add tomatoes and green chili to mixture and stir constantly for 3-5 minutes (if you find the mixture sticking to the pan, add a few tablespoons of water).
- Add salt, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, red chili, and garam masala, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add potatoes and peas (and paneer, if using) and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add cup of water and stir until water mixed in
- Close pressure cooker and cook for 1 whistle, take off burner, release pressure (or cover pot/pan and cook for 10-15 minutes (until potatoes cooked), stirring occasionally to prevent food from sticking to bottom of pot/pan).
- Garnish with cilantro (coriander).
- Serve hot with basmati rice or roti and cucumber raita. Enjoy!
This is very delicious! I did not have green chillis so I omitted those, used tomato puree instead of fresh ones and used half the suggested black pepper powder. It turned out to be still well spiced, aromatic and with a little kick. I loved it,thanks!