Recipe by jas kaur
posting here for safe keeping!!
Top Review by Nasseh
My vegetarian neighbor loved this dish while DH thought it was just ok. The amount of salt listed seemed way too much so I reduced it to 1 tsp instead of 1 tbsp. I also only put 1 tsp of powered coriander since I wasn't sure if it meant 1 tbsp of coriander seeds or powered coriander. Made for Fall PAC 2008
- 2 cups potatoes (boiled and cubed)
- 2 cups green peas (shelled)
- 3 -4 green chilies (slit a little)
For the gravy
- 250 g chopped onions, ground with
- 1 teaspoon peeled garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon chopped gingerroot
- 125 g tomatoes, grated or 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered red pepper
- 1 tablespoon powdered coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and add the cumin seeds and the bay leaves.
- When the seeds begin to splutter, add the onion paste and saute till fat separates.
- Add the tomatoes or puree, turmeric, salt, garam masala, red pepper and the coriander powder, and stir-fry till fat separates.
- Add the peas, potatoes and the green chillies and saut?ver high heat till the vegetables look glossy.
- Add 2 cups of water; bring to a boil and simmer, for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander leaves.