Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
posting here for safe keeping!!
- 2 cups potatoes (boiled and cubed)
- 2 cups green peas (shelled)
- 3 -4 green chilies (slit a little)
For the gravy
- 250 g chopped onions, ground with
- 1 teaspoon peeled garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon chopped gingerroot
- 125 g tomatoes, grated or 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered red pepper
- 1 tablespoon powdered coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil and add the cumin seeds and the bay leaves.
- When the seeds begin to splutter, add the onion paste and saute till fat separates.
- Add the tomatoes or puree, turmeric, salt, garam masala, red pepper and the coriander powder, and stir-fry till fat separates.
- Add the peas, potatoes and the green chillies and saut?ver high heat till the vegetables look glossy.
- Add 2 cups of water; bring to a boil and simmer, for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander leaves.
My vegetarian neighbor loved this dish while DH thought it was just ok. The amount of salt listed seemed way too much so I reduced it to 1 tsp instead of 1 tbsp. I also only put 1 tsp of powered coriander since I wasn't sure if it meant 1 tbsp of coriander seeds or powered coriander. Made for Fall PAC 2008