Cook1 hr 20 mins
Found the recipe on an Indian cooking website & believe it to be the same dish that my friend Raksha used to make for me.
- 2 cups basmati rice (or long grain rice)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter (or ghee)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup shelled green peas
- 1 cup potato, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons powdered coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon powdered garam masala
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups water
- Wash rice and soak in 2 cups of water for an hour. Drain well.
- In a heavy pan, heat the butter and add the cumin and the ginger.
- When the ginger becomes a light brown, add the peas and potatoes, coriander, garam masala, salt and turmeric. Stir-fry till well mixed.
- Add the drained rice & 4 cups of water, bring to a boil uncovered, then lower the heat to simmer and cover. The rice should be done in 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Great dish! This dish was very flavorful, but not too spicy. Because there was a comment that the rice was undercooked, I allowed the rice to soak longer and it probably was on the flame a little more than 10 minutes. Everyone devoured this dish: my husband, the rice lover, me who isnot so wild about it, our guests, and their teens who can be picky eaters. THis is a recipe which i will be making again and again.
Too salty for me and the rice seemed under cooked. I think this one's on me, not on the recipe.
This is a fantastic rice dish, packed with flavour.
I made a bit too much for our curry, so refrigerated the rest and had it with grilled sausages the next day!
I think the 1 tbsp of salt should read 1 tsp.
Doing this again with a curry I have found on this site.