Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe for Aloo Matar that I got off the internet. I went for my first Indian food experience, and happened to order Aloo Matar even though I had no idea what it was. It was fantastic! So I went searching right away for a recipe that I could use at home. Who knew it was so easy and inexpensive!!
- 2 small potatoes, cubed and boiled
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 -2 green chili, seeded and minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 -2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (powder)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add cumin seed and bay leaves.
- When seeds begin to splutter, add onion, garlic, and ginger paste and saute until oil separates.
- Add half the tomato sauce, tumeric, garam masala, red pepper, and corriander powder.
- Stir fry until the oil separates.
- Add peas, potatoes, and green chilis and the rest of the tomato sauce and heat through.
- Take out the bay leaves.
- I like to serve this over jasmine rice with pita bread or naan. You can also add plain yogurt to taste if you desire a creamier dish.
Not really what I had expected. Made it as stated and found it a bit bland. I am pleased I tried it though. Thanks for posting.
Very tasty and easy to make. Added an extra potato as suggested by the last reviewer. DON'T FORGET TO ADD SALT TO TASTE. Thx for sharing!