This is a recipe for Aloo Matar that I got off the internet. I went for my first Indian food experience, and happened to order Aloo Matar even though I had no idea what it was. It was fantastic! So I went searching right away for a recipe that I could use at home. Who knew it was so easy and inexpensive!!
- 2 small potatoes, cubed and boiled
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 -2 green chili, seeded and minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 -2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (powder)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add cumin seed and bay leaves.
- When seeds begin to splutter, add onion, garlic, and ginger paste and saute until oil separates.
- Add half the tomato sauce, tumeric, garam masala, red pepper, and corriander powder.
- Stir fry until the oil separates.
- Add peas, potatoes, and green chilis and the rest of the tomato sauce and heat through.
- Take out the bay leaves.
- I like to serve this over jasmine rice with pita bread or naan. You can also add plain yogurt to taste if you desire a creamier dish.