Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An Indian Classic
- 1 head cauliflower (flowerets cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 medium boiling potatoes (3/4lb, cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 2.46 ml fenugreek seeds
- 4.92 ml fennel seed
- 4.92 ml whole cumin seed
- 1-2 dried hot red chili pepper
- 3.69 ml ground turmeric
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml salt
- 0.59 ml ground pepper
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- Heat the oil in a large 12 to 14 inch skillet.
- When the oil is smoking, scatter in the fenugreek, fennel, cumin and red peppers.
- Stir once and add the cauliflower and potatoes.
- Stir lightly until coated with spices and oil.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add turmeric, ground coriander, salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 8–10 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup water and cover immediately.
- Turn heat very low and steam vegetables for 7-10 minutes (until tender).
- Sprinkle the garam masala over the vegetables, stir once and serve.
Thanks so much for this recipe - it is a firm favorite at our house. Last time I made it, I gave the diced potatoes a quick blast in the microwave (1or 2 minutes), dried them off slightly, then added them to the rest of the ingredients as usual. I found this reduced the cooking time required considerably. I have always made the recipe exactly as written but will now try including some other (green) veg as it seems such a versatile and flexible dish. Thanks again.
added carrots and peas(frozen at the last minute). extra water and doubled the spices. Yummy!!
Wow!! This was amazing! I've been on an Indian food kick and this totally hit the spot. I didn't have fenugreek or fennel so I added a little extra curry powder. I ended up have quite a bit extra and it made great leftovers.