Recipe by Zeke Koch
An Indian Classic
Top Review by Birtle Dene
Thanks so much for this recipe - it is a firm favorite at our house. Last time I made it, I gave the diced potatoes a quick blast in the microwave (1or 2 minutes), dried them off slightly, then added them to the rest of the ingredients as usual. I found this reduced the cooking time required considerably. I have always made the recipe exactly as written but will now try including some other (green) veg as it seems such a versatile and flexible dish. Thanks again.
- 1 head cauliflower (flowerets cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 medium boiling potatoes (3/4lb, cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 -2 dried hot red chili pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large 12 to 14 inch skillet.
- When the oil is smoking, scatter in the fenugreek, fennel, cumin and red peppers.
- Stir once and add the cauliflower and potatoes.
- Stir lightly until coated with spices and oil.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add turmeric, ground coriander, salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 8–10 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup water and cover immediately.
- Turn heat very low and steam vegetables for 7-10 minutes (until tender).
- Sprinkle the garam masala over the vegetables, stir once and serve.