Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Sandra, this one's specially for you. The recipe is from a cookbook. The number of servings is a guess.
- 1⁄2 lb semolina
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons sour milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 4 potatoes, peeled
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic
- To make dosais: Soak semolina in water in a bowl.
- Add sour milk, soda bircarbonate and a pinch of salt.
- Blend well together with an egg beater, till an even creamy mixture results.
- Leave overnight in a mixing bowl.
- Next morning, heat a tava (pancake pan).
- Pour a little ghee/oil on it (I use oil).
- Use 2-3 tbsps.
- full of batter at a time.
- You have to pour it in the middle of the pan and then spread it into a circle as for pancakes.
- Cover with a lid for the mixture to cook.
- Remove lid and put a filling of the potato mixture in the centre of the dosai.
- Fold over like an omelette, adding small amounts of ghee/oil to brown and prevent dosai from sticking.
- Serve with coconut chutney.
- For filling: Boil whole potatoes till done.
- Dice coarsely.
- Heat a tbsp.
- of oil in a skillet.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When they stop spluttering, add finely sliced/ chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add other spices.
- Fry for a few seconds.
- Add diced potatoes.
- Blend well.
- Use in dosais as required.