Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Potato and aubergine curry. Leftovers taste wonderful.
- 1 large aubergine, cut into bite size pieces with the skin on
- 1 large potato, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 an onion, finely chopped
- 2 inches grated gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Boil the potato with a little salt and turmeric for 10-15 minutes until almost cooked.
- Fry the finely chopped onion until translucent in the veg oil.
- Add the curry powder and cumin powder and sliced garlic and grated ginger and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Chop the aubergine and add to the pan (wait until the last moment before chopping the aubergine to prevent it turning black).
- Simmer on a medium heat for 20-30 minutes until the aubergine is soft, 5 minutes before the end add the cooked potatoes, mix well and leave to simmer.
- When finished drain as much oil as you can and serve immediately topped with the coriander!
Excellent flavours! The only change I made was to add a couple of chopped Roma tomatoes for the last five minutes with the potatoes. We'll definitely make this again.