Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
My recipe for a savory Asian-Hawaiian sauce I use with my Aloha! Sweet & Sour Burgers, and for meatball party appetizers.
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons dry sake
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon minced onion flakes
- NOTES: DRY SAKE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED WITH 2 TABLESPOONS DRY SHERRY, PLUS 1 TABLESPOON WATER. FOR A MILDER SAUCE, REDUCE AMOUNT OF SRIRACHA. TO PREPARE A SWEET & SOUR SAUCE FOR FRIED PORK AND FRIED PRAWNS -- DOUBLE THE RECIPE -- THEN REPLACE 2/3 CUP OF THE PINEAPPLE JUICE WITH ORANGE JUICE, REPLACE THE TERIYAKI SAUCE WITH RICE VINEGAR, REPLACE DRY GINGER WITH A 1-INCH CUBE PEELED FRESH GINGER ( SIMMER THEN REMOVE BEFORE SERVING), ADD 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS SOY SAUCE, AND 1/4 TEASPOON CHINESE FIVE SPICE POWDER.
- WHISK all of the sauce ingredients in a small or medium saucepan.
- BRING mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until completely thickened (you may thin sauce with water then re-season with a few grains of salt, if needed, to accommodate your personal preference and/or recipes).
- USE in your favorite recipe, or store refrigerated in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Keeps indefinitely.