Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A want-to-try recipe from Quick Cooking.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup banana, mashed ripe (about 2 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in banana, milk, orange peel and extracts.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in the coconut, nuts and pineapple.
- Transfer to a greased 9x 5 x 3 inches loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Yield: 1 loaf.
I knew I'd like this one after reading the ingredients, and I was right. It's very tropical tasting. The quick bread has a nice crumb to it, without being too dense. The only change I made was to add some rum extract. Wow that was a good idea. I would like to use macadamia nuts next time. I will make this again soon! Made and Reviewed as a Recipeextra for ANZ Recipe Swap #25 - Thanks! :)
This has become one of my family's favorite quick breads. It's a great recipe. I did two things different than the recipe: I used lemon zest instead of orange, simply because that is what I had on hand. I also added a streusel topping just because my family loves that crunch. The bread probably didn't need the added topping, but it added to our enjoyment. Streusel Topping: 1/2 c. sugar 1/3 c. flour 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 c. butter Combine dry ingredients; rub in butter and pinch together in clumps. Put streusel on top of unbaked bread and bake as usual. If topping gets too brown and bread isn't done, tent with aluminum foil.
This is a very moist quick bread. The kids scarfed it down and we shared some with a couple neighbors. I love pineapple and coconut but felt it was overpowering. Made for the August 2008 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.