Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I wanted to make a banana muffin, but something a little more tropical, so I came up with these. I think a little toasted coconut would be good either in the batter or sprinkled on top, but I did not use any since the rest of my family does not like coconut. These are, naturally, best fresh out of the oven.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 fluid ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, large pieces snipped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pineapple extract
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Spray muffin tins with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, SIFT together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon.
- Make sure they are thoroughly combined.
- Stir in macadamia nuts.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, pineapple juice, crystallized ginger, sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla and pineapple extract.
- Make sure these are well blended.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture, stir just until flour is moistened, (the batter will be thick and lumpy).
- Fill muffin cups approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden and they test done.
- Makes 24 regular muffins or 12 jumbo.
- (you will need to lengthen cooking time for jumbo muffins by about 10 minutes, for a total of 25 minutes).